Before playing, you will need to download a deck of needs cards. Print them out and cut them so that there's just one needs word on each card.
- Everyone playing sits in a circle. Spread out the needs cards face-up on the floor or table in the middle.
- One person is invited to talk for a few minutes about something that is happening in their life. This could be something either painful or joyful. It could be a small event or a big event.
- While the person is talking, everyone else listens silently.
- After the person has finished telling their story, everyone else silently looks at the needs cards to guess what needs are important to the person who told the story. Each person makes their best guess by quietly picking up one or two needs cards and placing them in front of the person who shared the story.
- The person who told the story looks at the needs cards that were placed in front of him/ her and takes a minute to quietly receive these words. When they're done, they put the cards back into center of the circle.
- Now, another person in the circle talks about something that is happening in their life and the game repeats, until everyone in the circle has had a chance to share.